Weekly E-News / Daily Devotionals
He said, “Listen , all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Listen, King Jehoshaphat! This is what the LORD says: Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow, march out against them. But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD’s victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid.” 2 Chronicles 20:15-17
Chapter 20 begins with several armies declaring war on King Jehoshaphat. He was terrified by the news and begged God for guidance. He ordered all the people to fast and pray. Jehoshaphat stood before the community and prayed. He proclaimed who God is: The ONE who alone is in heaven, ruler of all the kingdoms of the earth, powerful and mighty. He confessed “We are powerless against this mighty army that is about to attack us. We do not know what to do, but we are looking to you for help.” That’s when, the spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel, and he spoke telling them not to be afraid or discouraged because the battle belonged to God. They would not even need to fight, just to stand still and watch the LORD’s victory. King Jehoshaphat and all the people bowed down and worshipped the LORD. The next morning on their way out Jehoshaphat stopped and told the people, “Believe in the LORD your God, and you will be able to stand firm.” They went out singing to the LORD and praising him for his holy splendor. They sang, “Give thanks to the LORD; his faithful love endures forever.” At that very moment the armies turned against each other and were all killed. All the men returned to Jerusalem overjoyed that the LORD had given them victory.
What to do when war is declared: by Wendy Pope, writer for Proverbs 31.
- Beg the Lord for guidance (v3)
- Pray and fast (v6-7)
- Acknowledge you are powerless (v12)
- Listen for a word from God (v13-17)
- Believe the Lord your God (v20b)
- Praise Him…before the victory (v21)
I don’t know what war you are facing but REMEMBER:
- Jehoshaphat’s prayer
- The word of God can come thru a scripture, a person, a song, a devotion, a message, a husband or a wife. Wherever and however God chooses to speak to you He will.
- Invite people to pray with and for you
- Stand on His faithfulness
- Praise Him for who He is regardless of what He does even if you don’t understand…PRAISE HIM. Praise confuses the enemy and it is one of our greatest defenses against him!
Personal Application: What “war” are you facing?
Home Application: Is your family feeling under attack? Wage war on the enemy!
Are you ready?
Devotional written by Kathy Spade