October 2, 2016
To: Bannockburn Members
From: Mark Hey, Chairman of the Trustees
Subject: Revised BBC Constitution and Bylaws
The members of Bannockburn Baptist Church approved our current Constitution and Bylaws in June of this year. The Constitution and Bylaws review team, elected by the members of Bannockburn, knew in June that a few minor revisions would still be needed in the coming months, and included in this packet are the proposed revisions to these two documents. This six-member elected team is comprised of Mark Hey (Trustee), Dan Kelley (Trustee), Steve Prichett (Trustee), Roberta Grant (ad hoc), Jack Kelly (ad hoc), and Mike McKinney (ad hoc).
Attached please find a draft of the proposed Constitution and Bylaws. This team respectfully requests that you review these documents and make any comments you desire in accordance with the guidelines appearing at the end of this letter.
A brief overview of each of the revised articles is listed below. The list below summarizes the changes to the documents, but each member is encouraged to read the Constitution and Bylaws in their entirety.
- Except for the statement on Marriage, Sexuality and Divorce, all other previous foundational statements of faith have been replaced by the Baptist Faith and Message of 2000 (BFM) in its entirety. Bannockburn has long held to the BFM as our statement of faith, but our previous Constitution only contained segments of the BFM. This team felt that the entire BFM, along with Scripture references, should be contained in the Constitution to clearly articulate our foundational statements of faith. Our statement on Marriage, Sexuality and Divorce remains unchanged in this proposed Constitution and can be found at the end of §4.
- Updated §2.3 to reflect that any proposed decision at a special business meeting that requires a written ballot vote (as outlined in §2.9), take place at a separate meeting that meets the minimum requirements for written ballot voting (as detailed in §1.4.3). Any other proposed decision shall require an affirmative vote of three-fourths (3/4) of the qualified voting members present at the original meeting.
- Inserted a new §2.4 to allow for business meetings to take place at any BBC campus or at multiple campuses simultaneously as needed, provided a Trustee is present at each campus during the meeting.
- Added clarifying language to §184.108.40.206 to articulate that during a search for a Senior Pastor, the Interim Pastor shall not be a candidate for the position of Senior Pastor.
REVIEW PROCESS / TIMELINE
After reading the draft of the Constitution and Bylaws, you may have questions or wish to comment on the revisions. Please follow the guidelines below if you choose to respond to the team:
- All input must be in writing.
- If there is a Biblical question or comment, please cite your biblical reference(s) and anexplanation of what should be changed and why. Please be specific.
- Written comments can be submitted via one of the following methods:
- Drop off in person with the receptionist at the South Austin Campus, or with Mary Green in the Senior Pastor’s office.
- Email the Review Team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please respond no later than 12PM on Monday, October 10, 2016.
- If changes are deemed necessary, a revised Constitution and Bylaws proposal will be prepared and will be made available at both campuses on Sunday, October 16, 2016.
- For those unable to vote on these revisions at the quarterly business meeting, absentee voting for the adoption of the proposed Constitution and Bylaws will be conducted weekdays from 8:30AM – 4PM in the Church office from November 10-16, 2016.
- A quarterly business meeting to vote on the proposed Constitution and Bylaws will be held on Sunday, November 20, 2016, at 6PM.
- After combining the absentee votes with the written ballot votes cast at the quarterly business meeting, if three-fourths (3/4) of the qualified voting members approve the proposed Constitution and Bylaws, they shall become effective immediately and shall supersede the existing Constitution and Bylaws.